This guest post by author Lincoln Cole is part of a blog tour sponsored by 4Wills Publishing.
- Tip #1 – Just write. Don’t be afraid to put the words on paper and try new things. Sure, a lot of it won’t work, but some of it will. That first draft can be a nightmare, but you’ll be happy once it’s done.
- Tip #2 – Join communities and find beta readers. The RRBC is a great place to meet people who can help, but you also want to look into WriteOn, Wattpad, and other places where you can showcase works in progress and get feedback. You never know when you’ll make lifelong friends from it and the feedback can motivate you to finish a story.
- Tip #3 – Practice and learn from your mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, and it’s unwise to think anything you write will ever be perfect. I, for one, would hate to write a perfect book because I think it’s better to be always improving and to have each book you release be better than the one that came before it.
- Tip #4 – Start building your blog and online presence early. Think of social media like laying the foundation of a castle. You have to do it brick by brick and it takes a lot of time, so the earlier you start the sooner you can start reaping the benefits. A lot of people think they need to have published books and a lot of credibility before starting a social media presence, but it’s really the opposite.
- Tip #5 – Have fun. If writing isn’t fun or feels like a chore for you, then take a step back and ask yourself what your motivations are. Then, reevaluate and change course until you’re enjoying it again.
Who is Lincoln Cole?
Lincoln Cole is a Columbus-based author who enjoys traveling and has visited many different parts of the world, including Australia and Cambodia, but always returns home to his pug-a-monster and wife. His love for writing was kindled at an early age through the works of Isaac Asimov and Stephen King and he enjoys telling stories to anyone who will listen.
You can contact him on LincolnJCole@gmail.com
Raven’s Peak: http://www.LincolnCole.net/ravens-peak
Author Central: http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Cole/e/B00AUIOU3A