Back in September, I published Emotional Beats: How to Easily Convert your Writing into Palpable Feelings. As promised, I will be posting the book on my blog. So, here is the next installment, continuing Part 3 of the book: Other Beats. This chapter deals with:
One of my hobbies is photography, and I still remember something a photographer friend and teacher once told me: even with the best film and camera, your photograph will only be as good as the light available to you. Here are some ways to capture its infinite variations:
- The pitiless afternoon sun filtered through the rose-clad lattices, throwing rhombi of light onto the table.
- The sun sent the first shy rays across the plain.
- A few stray rays of sunlight filtered through gauze curtains to caress the wall across him.
- Sunlight fell across the pavement, making the dust glitter.
- A shaft of sunlight split down the middle of the room.
- The slice of light through the door expanded and cut across the floor.
- The crystals took the slanting sunshine and threw brilliant rainbow shards of light onto the ceiling.
- The empty room was draped in shadows that deepened with the onset of dusk.
- He withdrew his green flip-top lighter, the tell-tale ‘click-zip’ of the lid and striker echoing into the darkness.
- The sky was hinting at sunrise.
- Every once in a while, a streak of runaway light escaped through a gap in the clouds in a feast of fuchsia and orange.
- Dawn painted the sky in party colors.
- Stretching, she watched the sun filter through the trees.
- The low morning light rose like smoke from the night grass.
- The sun was still shining, a beam here and there piercing the gray that lay solidly overhead.
- The river reflected the soft violet of twilight.
- The diving summer sun was still baking the concrete rooftops. In the distance, his house basked under its relentless rays.
- Bands of pink blended into the dark purple of the horizon as the day rose.
- Sharp-angled blades of sunlight sliced open the heavy green canopy above, bleeding lemon-yellow splashes of warmth and light into the cool shade of her private oasis.
- He pulled her into a splash of orange glowing off a candle.
- Cool blue dripped onto the stage from lights burning high above.
- Slivers of afternoon sunlight sliced through the green canopy overhead and left its lemon-yellow glow here and there.
- Evening tossed its gauzy gray over the city, dulling even the silvery shine coming off a low-slung moon.
- He faded into shifting shadows stalking corners where the candles weren’t meant to reach.
- The orange flash of a spun lighter scattered those shadows for a moment.
- A kerosene lamp flung its awkward yellow haze against the low-slung ceiling.
- Morning tripped into the room gray and grimy.
- Fire milked an orange glow from a candle burning somewhere in the back.
- Kerosene fed the hungry flame in a lamp atop a modest kitchen table.
- Moonlight spilled in, splashing everything with its silver shine.
- They fell into a puddle of dirty yellow light.
- He watched her undress in a puddle of light coming from his lamp.
- Lemon-yellow sunlight splashed against the pulled share and gave shape to the man on the other side of that locked door.
- Pulled shades blotted out the glow of a gas lamp from the street below.
- Sharp white light stung her eyes.
[tweetthis]Emotional Beats: Light[/tweetthis]